Throwback October - January


Oh, God, it has been a while, hasn't it? Well, I'm really sorry about that but, frankly, I've been so busy with university that it wouldn't have even warranted doing on of these each month because I didn't get round to reading all that much. Moreover, writing these takes up quite a bit of time and, let me tell you, time hasn't been something I could just hand out whenever I wanted recently (I'm exaggerating but also not really). Sooo... what did I read/listen to between October and January? Let me tell you:

What I read:

October:

  • Choke by Chuck Palahniuk - 292 pages - 3 stars
  • Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe - 320 pages - 1.5 stars
  • Tokyo Ghoul 6, 7, 8 by Sui Ishida - 208 pages - 2, 2.5, 3 stars (respectively)
    I can't say that much about this series other than: it's just not my thing. They have gotten better (obviously) but I have, by now, given up on reading the rest (I read volume 9 but the 10th one was lying around in my room for weeks and I never felt like picking it up which was what made me give up on the rest. I just can't be bothered).

November:

  • Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Smith - 306 pages - 2.5 stars
    Surprisingly funny at times but also pretty tedious most of the time and, thus, not really my thing. 
  • We Were Liars by E. Lockhart - 240 pages - 4.5 stars
  • The Rape of the Lock by Alexander Pope - 53 pages - 3 stars
    I have a complicated relationship with this one because I recognize that it's funny and ironic and all that and the backstory is just ridiculous but a big part of me also thinks that this poem is just so stupid and humans are stupid and, most prominently, "why?".
  • The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag (Flavia the Luce #2) by Alan Bradley - 364 pages - 2.5 pages
  • (I also started reading World War Z by Max Brooks in November and haven't finished it, yet.)

December:

January:

  • Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk - 254 pages - 3 stars
  • Tokyo Ghoul 9 by Sui Ishida - 208 pages - 3 stars
    As I said before, I'm just not a fan of this series and this will have been, hopefully, the last one I ever pick up. I know lots of people absolutely love Tokyo Ghoul but it bored me most of the time, annoyed me a big junk of the time and only sometimes entertained me.
  • The Distance Between Us by Kasie West - 320 pages - 3 stars
  • The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne - 205 pages (but the writing is real tiny so it felt like a lot more) - 4 stars
    I was super surprised by how much I liked this one. But past me explained it better than I can so I'll link you to my Goodreads review.
  • Great Expectations by Charles Dickens - 571 pages - 4.5 stars (What?)
    Frankly, I dreaded reading this one because I thought I'd hate it. But then I started to love it?? Once more, past me is probably better at explaining.
That means I read about 4626 pages in 4 months? (I did the math in my head so it might be the very opposite of accurate but I don't want to do the math again because I'd be just very disappointed in myself once I see how far off I am.) It's not that much but, then again, I'm pretty sure I also read about 800 pages in a biology textbook, an additional many, many pages in other reading material, I skimmed through the entirety of Sherlock Holmes multiple times and also many other things so I'm thinking that 4.5k pages in four months really isn't that bad considering the circumstances.

What I listened to:

October:

  • Oroonoko by Aphra Behn - 3.5 stars
    After Robinson Crusoe and Gulliver's Travels this one stood out as being particularly good. I liked the story-arc and how depressing everything was (? I'm not good at explaining at the moment.), also I was able to listen to this as an audiobook while playing video games (I had earned myself some free time, don't judge me for how I prepare for university) which makes everything feel better. (Obviously, Oroonoko is not without its flaws and racism, so be prepared for that should you be interested in it.)

December:

  • It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover - 4.5 stars
    This was fantastic and I highly recommend it. (Yes, that's all I have to say and it should suffice because the less you know about it the better.)
  • Das Wolkenschloss by Kerstin Gier - 3.5 stars
    Eine wirklich niedliche Geschichte, wie immer von Gier, es hätte mehr passieren können, aber dafür, dass ich konstant am backen war, während ich es gehört habe, war es wirklich perfekt. 
  • Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen - 3.5 stars
    Good but nothing special? I haven't read anything by Sarah Dessen before this so I was really curious but the plot just wasn't my thing.

January:

  • Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee - 3 stars
    I don't really have anything to say about this. If you're not really all that interested in this one you can totally just skip it. I mainly wanted to read/listen to this one because I once read a post by Ursula K. Le Guin about it and it intrigued me. But it just wasn't anything special to me. Sure, I love To Kill A Mockingbird but that doesn't mean I have to have strong feeling about Go Set A Watchman because I really don't.
Yeah, that must have been it. I hope I didn't forget anything (I probably did, let's be honest with ourselves), I hope this was, I don't know, somewhat interesting? I was just hit with a wave of tiredness (I've went bouldering for the first time in a while and even though I didn't do much it trained me thoroughly) so I won't say much more and just go … sleep.
How was/were your reading month/s?
I hope you have a great day and happy reading. 

Comments

Beliebte Posts.

Her Royal Highness (Royals #2)

The Start of Me and You (The Start of Me and You #1)

A June Throwback