By Your Side


By Your Side by Kasie West

Blurb:

When Autumn Collins finds herself accidentally locked in the library for an entire weekend, she doesn’t think things could get any worse. But that’s before she realizes that Dax Miller is locked in with her. Autumn doesn’t know much about Dax except that he’s trouble. Between the rumors about the fight he was in (and that brief stint in juvie that followed it) and his reputation as a loner, he’s not exactly the ideal person to be stuck with. Still, she just keeps reminding herself that it is only a matter of time before Jeff, her almost-boyfriend, realizes he left her in the library and comes to rescue her.
Only he doesn’t come. No one does.

Review:

"There should be no rules in our world," he said.
"You're right. That will be rule number three."

Honestly, there is nothing much left to say about any Kasie West book that I haven't already said. Especially, because this is a perfect example of her run-of-the-mill and perfectly fine books. It's pretty much right down the middle. It's neither a book by her I particularly enjoyed, nor one I wasn't that much into.

Things that are pretty great about this book (I would proceed cautiously if you're not familiar with West's style and/or are more sensible to possible spoilers than most): The friendships (I can get annoyed by friendships in West's books because they are sometimes used to create drama - and sometimes I love them because a character makes a new friend group and learns more about herself in the process, but in this book it was neither of those: Autumn's friends just were a solid example of great friends you would want to have around), Dax (he's so sweet? He's kinda K-Drama protagonist-like where he won't admit that he likes people but he'll still take care of them behind their back and I'm apparently a sucker for that type of character, as long as they don't pretend to be too cold and Dax, eventually, melts like ice-cream in the sun), and the family (families in West's books are almost always pretty great and this one is so, too).

Things that weren't that great: Spending a weekend locked into a library and not reading a single book (? Seriously, Autumn?), the "oh-God-no-what-if-my-friends-find-out-I-have-anxiety" storyline (Honestly, if you struggle with anxiety and/or panic attacks and/or stuff talk to people about it, it can be a tremendous help if the people you are in public places with know how things can affect you. I actually used to always hold onto my friends' jumpers/bags/etc. whenever I felt overwhelmed just to calm myself down and it worked great. Obviously, everyone is different and stuff, I'm just saying, tell your friends about it - otherwise you might end up in a situation similar to the one Autumn ends up in), and neglecting your siblings because of your love-life drama.

"Winner! Who can talk smack now?"
He folded his arms and leaned against the railing as if waiting for me to give it my best shot.
"I win because I'm the best," I said lamely.
"You've had a lot of practice, I see."
"I win all the time. I'm just humble about it."

Rating:

By now, something huge has to happen in order for me to stray from my trusty 3-out-of-5-stars-Kasie-West-rating. Nothing huge has happened, I'm sticking with it.

Details:

Name: By Your Side
Author: Kasie West
Publisher: Harper Teen
Pages: 352
Where?: Amazon

Comments

Beliebte Posts.

A June Throwback

Sharp Objects

A September Throwback