Her Royal Highness (Royals #2)

Her Royal Highness (Royals #2) by Rachel Hawkins

Blurb:

Millie Quint is devastated when she discovers that her sort-of-best friend/sort-of-girlfriend has been kissing someone else. And because Millie cannot stand the thought of confronting her ex every day, she decides to apply for scholarships to boarding schools . . . the farther from Houston the better.

Millie can't believe her luck when she's accepted into one of the world's most exclusive schools, located in the rolling highlands of Scotland. Everything about Scotland is different: the country is misty and green; the school is gorgeous, and the students think Americans are cute.
The only problem: Millie's roommate Flora is a total princess.
She's also an actual princess. Of Scotland.

Review:

"There's a reason this sort of thing happens in fairy tales," Flora goes on, and I can see a smile start to spread across her face. "The beast clearly knows that he and I are connected by our love of this land."
"That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard anyone say. I'm dumber for having heard it."

Theoretically, this is the second book in a series and I haven't reviewed the first book (I listened to it as an audiobook) but: 1. I could sum up the first book as "it cute (& addictive)" and if you're into that then go on and read it and 2. these books are basically stand-alones as is (the overlap between the two stories is quite marginal) and I'm confident you could totally read this one without even knowing that there was a first book to begin with.

I swear, if Flora could use her brain for something other than cooking up various schemes, she'd probably rule the world, but I'm too angry to be impressed.

Anyway, this was such a fun ride! I feel like I've proven myself a sucker for Rachel Hawkins books enough already for no one to be surprised that I totally fell in love with her Royals series. No, they're not the greatest, most substantial books ever but they're cute and fun and addictive with great characters and relationships. This book is no less than that, plus, there's always something going on (meaning: it's fast-paced and surprisingly action-packed, as far as books go that are very much real-world-ish) and it's neigh impossible to get bored by this (unless you're the type of reader who gets bored by social interactions and stuff).

I would also like to throw out there that Millie is such a cutie pie (also she's into geology and that just... really cool? Maybe I'm just weird like that) and I'm quite confident that I'd have developed a total crush on her if I were a couple of years younger (I only recently said the exact same thing about another character in another book and, yes, I'm getting old). Of course, the other characters are interesting, too, but my soft-spot is Millie.

That all being said, I do feel like the ending was rushed. I loved everything that was going on until, well, that final bit of conflict. I didn't really get the conflict itself (if anyone could explain it to me, please, I am confusion), I disliked the 'grand gesture' thing (I always do, I truly cannot stand grand gestures), and in the end I felt like the resolution was super one-sided which flat out disappointed me. It was like the most cheesy, rushed, superficial, and least deserved ending a story with such a great beginning and middle could have gotten. 

"Back in the land of Wi-Fi," she mutters to herself, and I remember setting up my phone with the castle's Wi-Fi yesterday. The network was called "IT'S THIS ONE GRANDDA," so I assumed one of Lord Henry's grandkids had set it up for him.

Rating:

It was very sweet and pretty funny but also pretty freaking cheesy and not quite as substantial as it would need to be for me to give it more than 4 out of 5 stars. I would definitely recommend this, though! Especially if you're looking for a cutesy romance.

Details:

Name: Her Royal Highness
Series: Royals
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Previous Books in this Series: Royals / Prince Charming
Publisher: G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers
Pages: 304

Comments

Beliebte Posts.

Sharp Objects

The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes #9)

A June Throwback