The Start of Me and You (The Start of Me and You #1)

The Start of Me and You (The Start of Me and You #1) by Emery Lord

Blurb:

Can you plan happiness? 
It's been a year since Paige's first boyfriend died in a swimming accident and it's time she rejoined the real world. So she makes a plan: 
1. Date a boy (long-standing crush Ryan Chase seems like the perfect choice)
2. Attend parties (with best friends by your side: doable)
3. Join a club (simple enough, right?)
4. Travel (might as well dream big)
5. Swim (terrifying. Impossible)

Review:

"Sometimes we get it wrong the first time. But you only have to get it right once."

This totally hit the spot for me. The dynamic between Paige and her family/her friends was just so sweet and I totally loved it and then the addition of the love interest, who was such a genuinely nice person as well, just tied everything together perfectly. I totally saw a majority of the plot coming but, as Max says himself, sometimes the journey is the best part and the destination really doesn't matter all that much. And, boy, I really did love this journey.

Now, to be fair, it did take me a while to actually get into this book, mostly because the whole love-story aspect of the story was really predictable and I had this moment of really? We need to do this? Yet, I got over this really quickly and ended up reading a majority of the book in one sitting. Because, here's the thing, kinda stupid plot points can actually feel hardly more than a little silly when the protagonists of said plot aren't stupid themselves (and only didn't think about this one stupid thing until it was too late). I'm being really freaking cryptic and I'm sorry about that but I don't really know how to explain this to someone who hasn't read the book. (So maybe you should just read it and then we can talk about it?)

If nothing else, I do think that the friendship and family aspects of the story could be a saving grace if anyone were annoyed by the romance-thingy. That being said, I do really like a majority of the romance-plot. The chemistry between Paige and LI (Love-Interest) was nice and natural and it built over a long time, which was very nice to see. And they both, clearly, wanted the best for each other and, generally, the romance was very heart-warming. Plus, I'm pretty sure that I would have totally been obsessed with LI had I been a couple of years younger.

I've really been craving some light-hearted ya-romance-thingy and this book somehow totally hit that spot for me whilst also making me cry two times. Eventually I was just so emotional over everything that I really couldn't help myself (no, it wasn't because of the romance-stuff). So, yeah, I totally recommend The Start of Me and You.

In friendship, we are all debtors. We all owe each other for a thousand small kindnesses, for little moments of grace in the chaos.

Rating:

The Start of Me and You was totally a book I've needed to read and I do love it for it. I know, objectively, that it's not perfect but, frankly, I don't really care about that. Subjectively, it nearly was. I rate it 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Details:

Name: The Start of Me and You
Series: The Start of Me and You
Author: Emery Lord
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Pages: 376

Comments

Beliebte Posts.

A June Throwback

Sharp Objects

A September Throwback