The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes #4)


The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes #4) by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Blurb:

A man like Sherlock Holmes has many enemies. Violent murderers, deviant villains, ghosts of old loves, blackmailers and poisonous scribes, to to name but a few. But none are so deadly, so powerful, as Professor Moriarty. Moriarty - the only man who can compete with Holmes' genius. The only man who can, perhaps, ultimately defeat the great detective ...

Review:

"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.

I have to confess that, while it continues to be interesting and entertaining to read about Holmes' deduction skills and his ever-flourishing ability to get himself into some kind of trouble, I couldn't quite hold as strong an interest for most stories as in the previous books. Honestly, I found them rather a too similar to the previous stories (if not in content then in structure/format). 

Most stories I read with only a medium amount of interest and only the final two stories I found myself actually engaged with. Obviously, I couldn't resist Moriarty, but The Naval Treaty was quite clever, too. Sadly, even those two stories were not able not change the fact that this collection was more of a disappointment than the previous ones.

Rating:

Well, I guess something like 2.5/5 stars? I do still have high hopes for the next collection (especially because I accidentally read the start of the first story before starting this collection) but this one really didn't live up to the standards I have been used to from Doyle.

Details:

Name: The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes
Deutscher Titel: Die Memoiren des Sherlock Holmes
Series: Sherlock Holmes
Author: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Publisher: Penguin
Pages: 255

Comments

Beliebte Posts.

Her Royal Highness (Royals #2)

The Start of Me and You (The Start of Me and You #1)

A June Throwback