Throwback: April - June


Oh, God. I have made the mistake of waiting too long to write another one of these. There are so many books and, although I would like to write a little bit about all of them, I'm sure it would be a total overkill to actually do so. Thus, I'll just go into a little detail about the books I deem worthy of further attention. Most of the books I've written reviews for anyway so you should be able to just look those up. 

Books

(Books I read for university)

  • Absolom, Absolom! by William Faulkner - 2 stars
    Urgh, Absolom, Absolom was such a pain to read. Yeah, I know there are a couple of people who actually enjoy it's writing style and stuff but it wasn't my cup of tea - it wasn't most people's cup of tea as far as I can tell from talking to fellow English students. Thus, I want to tell you (as I've told other students who weren't sure whether to finish it or not): if you ever have to read this book and you can't deal with it's style, just read the first chapter and then read a summary of the rest. That way you'll be familiar with the style and you'll know the story. No point in reading the whole thing.
  • The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides - 5 stars (still)
  • Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett - 4 stars
  • The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood - 4.5 stars
    All I have to say about this one is: If you haven't read the book yet (or watched the series) I would highly recommend doing so.
  • Bringing Narnia Home by Devin Brown - no rating
    I read this for my BA thesis but there was hardly any useful information in it. It kind of just summarizes a lot of the Narnia story and I'll re-read those books soon enough myself.

(Books I read for fun!)

  • How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia by Mohsin Hamid - 4 stars
    Mohsin Hamid is one of the most interesting authors, in my opinion. His books are always a little different and try something new. This is the third book I've read by him and it's also my favorite so far.
  • Love, Life, and the List by Kasie West - 3 stars
  • What We Saw by Aaron Hartzler - 4.5 stars
    Dark and scary but not in a "there was a murder in my neighbor's house" kind but in a "rape-allegations and I don't know whom to trust" kind of way. I, still, totally recommend this.
  • Exit, Pursued By a Bear by E. K. Johnston - 4 stars
    Similarly to What We Saw this one treats the subject of rape but from a different perspective and with a veeery different "vibe". It's way less dark and way more feel-good. Yeah, I know, right? A almost of feel-good book in which a rape occurs? It's crazy, man.
  • Human Acts by Han Kang - 2.5 stars
    Han Kang, similarly as Mohsin Hamid, has very interesting books. In the other book I read by her the interesting aspect was mostly due to the theme of the book (also, her style of writing is beautiful) - this one, sadly, was more of a let-down. But I'm sure that I'll continue reading her books and expect great things.
  • Trouble Is a Friend of Mine by Stephanie Tromly - 4 stars
  • Trouble Makes a Comeback by Stephanie Trombly - 4 stars
  • I Believe in a Thing Called Love by Maurene Goo - 3 stasr 
  • Trouble Never Sleeps by Stephanie Tromly - 5 stars
    I really, really, really love the entire Trouble series and you should definitely give it a shot if you haven't yet!
  • By Your Side by Kasie West - 3 stars
  • Tonight the Streets Are Ours by Leila Sales - 3 stars
  • Foxhole Court by Nora Sakavic - no rating
    I'm really torn on this one. But maybe the second book of the series will be able to give me some "closure"?
  • Wonder Woman: Warbringer by Leigh Bardugo - 4 stars
  • Our Chemical Hearts by Krystal Sutherland - 3 stars 
  • Fermats letzter Satz by Simon Singh - 5 stars
    Ich weiss, ich weiss, ich weiss, ein Buch über einen mathematischen Satz - und es ist eines meiner neuen Lieblingsbücher? Klingt komisch, aber es war einfach toll, ich kann es nicht leugnen.
  • The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie - 4 stars

Audiobooks

  • Little Monsters by Kara Thomas - 2 stars
    I'm very, very disappointed in this book. I expected a riveting and kind of slow-burning horror/mystery-tale what I got was "uuuh, we're all crazy" within the last half hour of the audiobook.
  • One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus - 4.5 stars (still)
  • Call Me By Your Name by André Aciman - 2.5 stars
    Again, I'm very disappointed (if you haven't guessed already, the past months weren't good times for audiobooks and me). The book was, seemingly, just about sex and being obsessed with someone. Just not my kind of story.
  • The Woman in the Window by A. J. Finn - 3 stars
  • I Was Anastasia by Ariel Lawhon - 3 stars
    This book is weird for me because I seem to have no real opinion about it. There were some good parts, there were some not-so-good parts. I liked the ending. I didn't really like the beginning. That's it, pretty much.

Yeah, that's it! I hope you're having a great reading month/had great reading months (and don't wait as long with your wrap-ups - if you do those yourself - as I did). Happy reading!

Comments

Beliebte Posts.

Sharp Objects

A June Throwback

A September Throwback