Rebecca


Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Blurb:

Working as a lady's companion, the heroine of Rebecca learns her place. Her future looks bleak until, on a trip to the South of France, she meets Max de Winter, a handsome widower whose sudden proposal of marriage takes her by surprise. She accepts, but whisked from glamorous Monte Carlo to the ominous and brooding Manderley, the new Mrs de Winter finds Max a changed man. And the memory of his dead wife Rebecca is forever kept alive by the forbidding housekeeper, Mrs Danvers...

Review:

I suppose sooner or later in the life of everyone comes a moment of trial. We all of us have our particular devil who rides us and torments us, and we must give battle in the end.

This was somewhat disappointing. No, frankly, it was very disappointing. I went into this book expecting a thrilling, but slowly creeping tale of subtle drama that would manage to fascinate me, grab my interest from the very start. Welll... it took me about 200 pages before I actually felt the tension building in a meaningful way. Before that it was mostly "okay, that's good to know? Is it actually relevant?" Moreover, I was never actually thrilled. The ending was very well done, the tension was pretty steady from that halfway-point forward (but didn't actually build until the very end), but I didn't really feel emotionally effected by anything.

That being said, I do think there is a lot of merit in Rebecca and I totally get why some people love it as much as they do. The story telling is quite amazing on a technical level. I often paused and wondered at how well the du Maurier conveyed the story, the atmosphere, and feelings. It might not have affected me but I did very much appreciate the level of pure skill portrayed in this novel. Actually, I would recommend this one for everyone who is interested in storytelling, no matter that it took my, like, five months to read this.

In conclusion: great book on a technical level, sadly not my cup of tea. I'd definitely recommend it but maybe read it as a sideline book, kind of (which is what I did, I hardly ever read it at home when I had time to read but only in-between lectures and stuff like that).

Rating:

I'm not quite sure yet but either 3 or 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Details:

Name: Rebecca
Deutscher Titel: Rebecca
Author: Daphne du Maurier
Publisher: Virago Press
Pages: 441
Where?: Amazon (English edition), Amazon (deutsche Ausgabe)

Comments

Beliebte Posts.

A June Throwback

Sharp Objects

Ella, The Slayer