The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes #6)


The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes #6) by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Blurb:

After Sherlock Holmes' apparently fatal encounter with the sinister Professor Moriarty at the Reichenbach Falls, the great detective reappears, to the delight of the faithful Dr Watson in The Adventures of the Empty House.

Review:

My companion's expressive face showed sympathy which was not, I am afraid, entirely unmixed with satisfaction.
“Dear me,” said he, “it was only this moment at breakfast that I was saying to my friend, Dr. Watson, that sensational cases had disappeared out of our papers.”

After the disappointment of the last Sherlock Holmes collection I have to admit to being really happy with the follow up. I continue to not being terribly interested in the actual cases (with some exceptions) but that didn't matter all that much because there were a lot of great character moments where Homes' sarcasm and quirkiness had the opportunity to properly shine through.


"It strikes me, my good Lestrade, as being just a trifle too obvious,” said Holmes. “You do not add imagination to your other great qualities, but if you could for one moment put yourself in the place of this young man, would you choose the very night after the will had been made to commit your crime?"

Consequently, I had a really fun time reading these short stories. Obviously, not all of them are equally good and there were some which almost bored me to sleep (however, it's really hot here at the moment so that doesn't mean all that much). But most stories did manage to engage my interest in a satisfying way as well as contain at least one moment – most frequently between characters but there were exceptions to that rule, too – which I thoroughly enjoyed.

For example: The best excuse to committing a crime?
"I am sure, sir, it was only my practical joke."
(Possibly the original "it's just a prank, bro"?)
The best title for two tragic murders?
The Adventure of the Dancing Men
And, finally, the best means during an investigation to get to the information needed?
"You would not call me a marrying man, Watson?"
“No, indeed!” 
“You’ll be interested to hear that I’m engaged.” 
“My dear fellow! I congrat —” 
“To Milverton’s housemaid.” 
“Good heavens, Holmes!” 
“I wanted information, Watson.” 
“Surely you have gone too far?”
(Nope, he hasn't.)

Rating:

Apparently, all I need are great Sherlock Holmes moments for me to thoroughly enjoy myself, which is precisely what I received in this book. 4/5 stars.

Details:

Name: The Return of Sherlock Holmes
Deutscher Titel: Die Rückkehr des Sherlock Holmes
Series: Sherlock Holmes
Author: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Previous Books in this Series: Eine Studie in Scharlachrot (#1)Das Zeichen der Vier (#2)Die Abenteuer des Sherlock Holmes (#3), The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (#4) (Yes, I know, I skipped a book but that's how my edition is structured.)
Publisher: Penguin
Pages: 394

Comments

Beliebte Posts.

A June Throwback

Sharp Objects

A September Throwback