City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments #2)


City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments #2) by Cassandra Clare

Blurb:

Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? Clary would love to spend more time with her best friend, Simon. But the Shadowhunters won't let her go--especially her handsome, infuriating newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil--and also her father. When the second of the Mortal Instruments is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor suspects Jace. Could Jace really be willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?

Review:

"I don't want to be a man," said Jace. "I want to be an angst-ridden teenager who can't confront his own inner demons and takes it out verbally on other people instead."
"Well," said Like, "you're doing a fantastic job."

Frankly, it took me quite a bit of convincing (myself) to pick up the second book of The Mortal Instruments series. Right after the first instalment a great wave of "do I even care all that much" hit me and for the longest time I just didn't feel like going back to this series. It was on a whim when I picked it up anyway from the library and it was on an even greater whim when I actually started reading this book. And then I discovered that while I'm still not a huge fan of the story, it has a kind of engaging style that makes it very easy to read. So easy, in fact, that I practically flew through the first fifty pages.

Thus, I have discovered that reading Cassandra Clare is very easy. It's not super enjoyable and I am quite put-off by the developments of the Epilogue (seeing as I already know where the story is going the Epilogue gave me some uncomfortable flash-backs) but it is, nevertheless, entertaining enough. I sound really negative even to myself but the thing is I remember these books in a very negative light and it's quite interesting to discover that I'm slowly changing my mind. In fact, I liked this book better than I did the first one. It makes me curious whether I could, actually, become one of those people obsessed with Cassandra Clare's books?

That being said, I still can't guarantee that I'll actually pick up the next book in this series. I feel like I want to give this series more chances to prove itself but from the way I remember the story progressing I can't help but picturing myself being totally annoyed while reading City of Glass. Ultimately, I guess it'll come down to whims again. 

Rating:

As I said, I liked this one a little better than City of Bones thus I'll give this 2.5 stars.

Details:

Name: City of Ashes
Deutscher Titel: City of Ashes - Chroniken der Unterwelt
Series: The Mortal Instruments
Author: Cassandra Clare
Previous Books in this Series: City of Bones (#1)
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Pages: 453

Comments

Beliebte Posts.

Sharp Objects

A June Throwback

The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes #9)