Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Creekwood #1)


Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Creekwood #1) by Becky Albertalli

Blurb:

Sixteen-year-old and not-so-openly gay Simon Spier prefers to save his drama for the school musical. But when an email falls into the wrong hands, his secret is at risk of being thrust into the spotlight. Now Simon is actually being blackmailed: if he doesn’t play wingman for class clown Martin, his sexual identity will become everyone’s business. Worse, the privacy of Blue, the pen name of the boy he’s been emailing, will be compromised.
With some messy dynamics emerging in his once tight-knit group of friends, and his email correspondence with Blue growing more flirtatious every day, Simon’s junior year has suddenly gotten all kinds of complicated. Now, change-averse Simon has to find a way to step out of his comfort zone before he’s pushed out—without alienating his friends, compromising himself, or fumbling a shot at happiness with the most confusing, adorable guy he’s never met.

Review:

"What's a dementor?"
I mean, I can't even. "Nora, you are no longer my sister."
"So it's some Harry Potter thing," she says.

If you've ever heard anyone talk about this book, an let's not kid ourselves you probably have at least a dozen times, there's nothing original I can really tell you about it, I'm basically reiterating what everyone has already said two and a half years ago when this book was first published. Which is to say that this is a cute book with cute characters and lots of drama going on to keep you busy and sucked into the story.

This really is an entertaining read and it was cute but not without substance. And I really did enjoy the whole experience. Still, I didn't fall in love with this book, it didn't completely blow me away. Frankly, it took me about 50 pages before I clicked with the story (I expected instantaneous love). In other words, I expected more than I got from this book. I'm being totally unrealistic and unfair because of my incredibly high expectations; which is exactly what happens when people constantly scream about what an awesome book something is and that it's their favorite – everybody's favorite.

But despite the weird feeling of ever so slight disappointment I did really like the book for what it is. The characters really were interesting and well constructed and I'm excited to read about Leah next. Actually, I related to Leah quite a bit so I think her book might actually suit me better? Here's to hoping (also I don't have ridiculously high expectations).

Also? I totally knew who Blue is. Albertalli tried to sneak in a few red-herrings but I totally saw through it and new the first time he was mentioned.

I take a sip of my beer, and it's–I mean, it's just astonishingly disgusting. I don't think I was expecting it to taste like ice cream, but holy fucking hell. People lie and get fake IDs and sneak into bars, and for this? I honestly think I'd rather make out with Bieber. The dog. Or Justin.
Anyway, it really makes you worry about all the hype surrounding sex.


Rating:

Okay, I might sound more negative than I'm actually feeling. All I want to say is that I can't give it the amount of stars I had expected to give it. My rating is 4 out of 5 stars.

Details:

Name: Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda
Deutscher Titel: Nur drei Worte (ein Titel der mich unglaublich verwirrt hat, das erste Mal wie ich ihn in einer Bibliothek gesehen hatte dachte ich zuerst, dass Becky Albertalli ein neues Buch veröffentlich hat)
Series: Creekwood
Author: Becky Albertalli
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Pages: 303

Comments

Beliebte Posts.

Her Royal Highness (Royals #2)

The Start of Me and You (The Start of Me and You #1)

A June Throwback